The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you should have:
- HS diploma or equivalent
- 5 years of experience in a similar position, including experience with:
- Billing, including experience using a billing system, ideally QuickBooks
- Reconciliation of bank accounts and charge accounts, and the ability to analyze, find discrepancies and reconcile budgets
- The ability to assist with month-end closing
- Accounts payable work, with the ability to review and verify invoices; sort, code and match invoices; reconcile accounts payable transactions/statements; research and resolve accounts payable discrepancies and issues
- Setting up and maintaining customer and vendor files
- Knowledge of MS Office programs, particularly Word, Outlook, and some understanding in Excel (such as the ability to create basic formulas)
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize appropriately as you work on multiple projects concurrently
- Great communication skills to work with internal staff and external customers, both in written and verbal form
- Great analytical skills, including the ability to think through issues and solve problems, coming up with answers on your own as often as possible
- A meticulous nature, with the ability to keep strict documentation, and the desire to do excellent work
- Strong time management skills, and the ability to do what it takes to meet deadlines
- Experience with and an understanding of payroll laws
- Experience in the construction industry
The RoleIn this new position, created due to company growth, you’ll join the Office Manager, who will be your supervisor, and an Office Administrator to round out the team handling all office needs for our 25-person company. In addition to our internal team, you’ll have the chance to interact with clients, vendors, subcontractors, and suppliers, so you’ll need to be a great communicator. Your main goal will be to ensure billing is completed in a timely way on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis as needed.
Though you’ll be the primary driver of the billing function, you’ll also have some responsibility to complete any other tasks that need to be done to keep the office running smoothly. On any given day, you may find yourself working on tasks such as payroll, job costing, construction loan billing, and more, and you’ll need to be the kind of person who enjoys jumping in to help where needed.
We are at an exciting time of growth for the company, and we’ve begun to streamline our processes, as well as adopt new technology, for a higher level of efficiency. You’ll be a part of helping us move to this new reality, and will be able to give input on your suggestions as part of this initiative.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Why RDMWork / life balance -- our normal day begins between 7-8 am, and you’ll generally work business hours Monday through Friday. However, we believe in helping our employees to maintain a strong balance, so we are flexible enough to work it out if you need to come in late or leave early once in awhile, such as to attend events at your child’s school.
Autonomy and support -- you’ll have the Office Manager by your side to help answer questions, but she’ll also give you the elbow room to do your own job. If you’re the person we’re looking for, you’ll be excited to drive your areas (such as billing), and interested in learning more from the strong mentors on your team.
Training and development -- in this role, you’ll gain knowledge across a wide variety of areas. Even if you come from construction, you’ll have the chance to learn some of the ins and outs of the specialty tasks associated with custom construction, and will have opportunities to develop skills and knowledge in office functions you may not have tried before (such as payroll).
Great environment -- this is a very family-oriented, close knit company and team. People enjoy working here, as demonstrated by the low turnover rate, and we enjoy camaraderie and fun on the job.
A Reputation for Excellence -- at RDM, we strive for excellence across every aspect of our business, from initial pre-job planning, to final phases of construction, and even to completing the billing in a precise and timely fashion. Our common goal as a company is to deliver an outstanding product, and we are committed to the highest levels of professionalism. With more than 90% of our business built on referrals, we are confident that our commitment to excellence will bring us continued growth.
Competitive compensation -- in addition to a competitive hourly wage and overtime pay if you work more than 40 hours per week, we offer a variety of benefits. These include medical benefits and a flexible spending account; a 401(k) plan with company contribution (beginning a year after your employment); paid holidays and time off; and the possibility for a year-end performance-based bonus.
Keys to SuccessThe right candidate for this role is smart and good at thinking on your feet. To excel here, you’ll need to be good at communicating and getting along with others as most of your day will be spent working with the cross-functional team and external customers and vendors.
In addition, to be an outstanding Assistant Office Manager, you will:
- Remain flexible in our dynamic environment. As needs arise during the day our priorities may shift, and you’ll need to be able to roll with those changes.
- Maintain a detail-oriented approach to billing, recognizing that it can be a time-consuming process that requires follow-through and thoroughness.
- Take the initiative to see what needs to be done and do it. We are a close-knit team, and everyone pitches in to help when needed.
- Have an investigative mind, with the desire to learn and grow, always looking for better ways to solve issues before bringing them to your supervisor.
- Fit with the company culture of an excellence mindset. All details of your work will be completed correctly, but you should go above and beyond to make the end product look nice, and to check it over multiple times. This isn’t just about doing work to get it done, but about taking pride in everything you do.